Khachapuri is one of the most famous Georgia’s national dishes. It is a cheese-filled bread, just flavored and shaped in various ways.
In Georgia you can eat khachapuri at fast food restaurants or buy on every street corner. There are many kinds of khachapuri, such as khatchapouri Imeretian (round with cheese inside), Ajarian khachapuri (boat-shaped bread filled with butter, cheese and topped with eggs), Achma khachapuri a kind of Lasagna only with cheese, butter and eggs.
As you see there are many forms and variations of khachapuri, but today I chose to cook Phenovani khachapuri (my favorite). Phenovani, is a kind of khatchapouri made with puff pastry and formed as a triangle or a square.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 150g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 150g feta cheese grated
- 100g ricotta cheese
- 50g plain yoghurt
- 1 large egg,
- 1 large egg (for egg wash)
- Salt (optional, the feta is already salty)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta, mozzarella, egg, ricotta, yoghurt, pepper and mix well.
- On a clean floured surface, roll out one sheet of the puff pastry into a square (it should be about 12x12 inch ).
- Then divided it into 9 equal squares each one 4”x4 inch.
- Take the square and fill it with a tablespoon of cheese filling. then fold over to make a triangle.
- Crimp the edges with a fork, and brush the top with egg using a pastry brush.
- Put the prepared Khachapuri into the oven and bake them at 350F for 20-25minutes or until golden .