I love this lemon rice soup recipe. This is a healthy, easy, tasty, low calorie soup and it is wonderful on a cold evening or when nursing a cold. I made it already several times and we love it. I’ve used veggie broth instead of ” chicken” broth to make this a vegetarian recipe. I really like lemon, so I added potatoes, lemon. I also added one carrot, which gave the soup a wonderful, warm color.
I also add an onion and some garlic powder, (you can use fresh garlic instead of powder) which I think balances out the lemon quite nicely. This is a relatively uncommon soup, I highly recommend trying it out! The whole family really enjoyed this everyone ate this soup, even my 3 year old doughter, and it really was delicious. Really good soup for a cold weather and even better the second day!
- 2 tablespoons butter, or more if needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- ½ cup long-grain rice
- ½ lemon or 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in melted butter until completely softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth or water into the pot; add potatoes and carrot. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir garlic powder, lemon, parsley, salt and pepper into soup about 5 minutes.