My husband and I love Tiramisu so much. I think it is the perfect combination of cake and cream. The more I eat, the more I love it. It’s one of those recipes that needs to sit a while. The longer it sits, the better. For best result refrigerate for 48 hours. I made my tiramisu yesterday and I couldn’t wait 2 days. One day was enough for me. My tiramisu was absolutely amazing. Everyone loved it from first bite.
For my tiramisu I used the Savoiardi ladyfingers. Then I made my espresso using espresso granules. I think the coffee taste is essential for having a good tiramisu. I also used rum. The alcohol is also one of the important ingredients and shouldn’t be left out. I mixed the egg whites and 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Then whisked together egg yolks and 5 tablespoons sugar until well blended. Then folded mascarpone cheese into the egg yolk mixture and also added egg whites into mascarpone mixture (make sure to have your mascarpone cheese at room temperature before using it). What about ladyfingers don’t dip both sides of the ladyfingers. It makes tiramisu runny. I covered the bottom of the dish (you can use any size dish or pan, because you can chop the ladyfingers into whatever length you need) with ladyfingers and then I did a layer of cream, second layer of ladyfingers second layer of cream. Covered and refrigerated for 24 hours. Don’t forget to sprinkle your cocoa on just before serving or it will get moist. I also added some chocolate shavings on top of the cocoa. Be careful one piece of this delicious tiramisu has tons of calories.
- 6 eggs
- 1 package Savoiardi ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup coffee
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat 5 tablespoons sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Then add mascarpone cheese to egg-sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and 1 tablespoon suger in a bowl using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Then fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- Pour espresso and rum into a shallow dish.
- Don't dip both sides of ladyfingers into the coffee mixture. It makes tiramisu runny. Dip 1 side of each ladyfingers into the còffe mixture and arrange in a bottom of prepared dish.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and repeat with remaining ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Sprinkle cocoa just before serving.